Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Asperger's and happiness in England

OK, this is going to be an odd post, but bear with me . . .

My son has the following characteristics that I believe he shares with many Aspies:

1. He has very white, pasty skin coloring
2. He often speaks in a somewhat formal, pendantic manner
3. He's not particularly athletic
4. Athletics is not as important to him as academics or general knowledge
5. His sense of humor tends to be very dry

I could be wrong, but is this not a good description of someone who would fit in well with English society? I lived in England for two years, and I think Will might be much happier and much more included in society if he lived there. I'm sort of kidding here, but sort of not . . .

Wouldn't it be great if you could find a place to live with Asperger's where it was an ideal character trait? For instance, if the United States glorifies all of its athletes, gives them all of the attention, money, and glory, surely there must be a country out there, somewhere, where those people who have great stores of knowledge, pasty skin, and a dry sense of humor could live in happiness?

If only it were so . . .

Kris

5 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, Blogger Me said...

Good morning...My husband works with a lady from England and I have told him several times that my son and her would hit it off very well because he also has that (almost irritating) way of speaking. Sometimes when he asks me stuff in that tone of properness and almost snootiness I will make him stop and ask me again in a normal tone....My husband thinks it is cute...It's weird that my 8-year-old has more formality and maturity to his tone and inflection than I do! I find your thoughts on this very intriguing, especially since we have had this very same discussion in our house.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Megan Bayliss said...

Hey Kris
this blog made me laugh. I know exactly that which you refer to! It would be interesting to know the rate of Aspergers in the UK. Maybe it's not even recognised as a disorder there because there's little difference between the condition and the British culture.
Thank you for providing me a good chuckle in the wilderness of living with Aspergers children.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger deannatrois said...

Sorry hun, I live in England with a son with Aspergers.., and the lack of understanding and willingness to understand Aspergers is not helpful here. I am having tremendous difficulties with Jamie's schooling. I realise what u wrote was strictly tongue in cheek but remember, asperger kids also have a tendancy for great displays of uncontrolled emotion (well my son does lol) altho yes, he does the robotic voice thing as well lol.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger PicklesRule said...

This post made me open my mouth in disbelief! My older brother has Asperger's and has always loved British comedy. He went over to London on a semester abroad and absolutely fell in love with it. He even made several friends there. I have always been convinced that his Asperger's has made him much more British than American in behavior, appearance, humor, etc. He plans on moving there sometime this year. I realize your post was slightly in jest, but wow, I have said the exact same thing about my brother for years. So crazy to read that it isn't so random...

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Narrah said...

Hello,

I was googling for info on Aspergers and Metadate, and came across this. I had to chuckle - my 10 yr old with Aspergers/ADD/Anxiety loves Monty Python, and completely fits this stereotype. We have a family friend who lives in England at age 60+ maintains an obsessive interest in Trains. He and my son have been pen pals for several years now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters